Monday, January 09, 2012

Coconut Mocha Frappe - the adulterated version


It was around 7:30 tonight when I began wanting something sweet to eat or possibly drink. I decided to go the drink route because it would be quickier and easier. I went to the kitchen, opened the pantry door and began pulling down some bottles from the very top shelf. I came across this tiny bottle of Godiva. A friend had given me this one and a few other small bottles as a gift. I figured today would be a great time to try it out.

I went to my handy dandy computer and began searching for recipes for Godiva Liqueur recipes. I noticed quickly that I didn't have many of the ingredients or other liquors called for in the recipes. Then i found this one. The first step is to make simple syrup. Ok, I can do that. Step two called for combining all the ingredients and freezing for two hours. Ummm, no. That is definitely not gonna happen.

My adulterated version of the Coconut Mocha frappe was born. This recipe made 2 drinks, one for me and one for Rob.

1 50ml Godiva Liqueur
1 25-50ml Malibu Rum (add according to your preference for coconut rum)
1/4 cup sugar*
1/4 cup water
coffee (I use Senseo dark roast 2 pods)
ice
magic bullet or blender

1. Make simple syrup with the 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. You can pour the water and sugar into a microwavable container for 1 minute. Stir and reheat until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.

2. Make your coffee. Strength, brand, etc is up to you. Set aside.

3. If you are using the magic bullet, fill two of the blending cups with ice. Pour the coffee, simple syrup and liquors equally between the two cups. Place the cross blade on one of the cups and blend thoroughly. Repeat for the second cup. Add a straw in each cup and enjoy.

* less sugar/water can be used. Another option is to use a Torani syrup to sweeten the drink. Torani makes a coconut syrup and it can be used in the place of the Malibu if necessary.

I wish I had a picture of it to show you. Even the Godiva site fails to have a photo of their version. I blame my lack of photo due to the deliciousness of the drink. The next time I make one, I'll be sure to take the extra minute and take a photo.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments: